7.15.2011

Dresser Re-Do....

I found this dresser at the D.I. (Deseret Industries, a donation/thrift store) and fell in love with it. It needed some love, but I had a vision and I LOVED the price.

 













I fell in love with the decorative details, the carved leaves on the front of the drawers and the trim on the bottom. The first thing I did was take off the handles, then I started sanding and filling and repairing. Some of the drawers needed some repairing. Then I started priming. I primed everything really well. Using KILZ white primer. 
 After it was all primed, I started painting. I actually used spray paint (KRYLON, Blue Ocean Breeze, Gloss). I used a lot of thin coats to prevent drips and I let it dry well between each coat. Here is a picture of it painted and waiting to be distressed.
 Next, I took sandpaper to distress the edges and details. I really wanted the dress to still look old and so I didn't sand out all the imperfections before I painted.
Next, I added the new handles and moved it into our living room. I love how much this piece has changed the look of our living room, it is so bright and cheerful!

Linked Up Here:

2 comments:

  1. Looks good Magen! I love the idea of re-doing old furniture. I think I need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love that dresser! I too like to restore furniture! With all the push to "go green" I think its a super fun way to "do my part". NOW to just find more used furniture that I love so I can "do my part"! :)

    ReplyDelete