2.28.2011

Homemade Samoas

Oh my goodness I love samoas! I wish they sold them in stores because I have never been lucky enough to cross paths with an actual girl scout... I know, it's weird. :) My mom used to buy these when I was a teen and my self-control pretty much went out the window whenever they were in the house. They are really that good. Anyway... I found this recipe for them at a cute little food blog called A Bicycle Built For Two. That recipe HERE... Her cookies are much better looking than mine. In fact, mine don't even look much like real samoas... but I promise they tasted good.


Start with the cookie recipe... (Makes about 12-15 cookies)

1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk

Cream butter and sugar. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and roll out like sugar cookies. Use a small cookie cutter (I recommend something 2 inches or smaller because these are rich cookies) and cut out dough. Using a pencil eraser or your finger, make a smaller circle in the middle. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes on a greased baking sheet.



Now for the topping...

3 cups shredded coconut
12 ounces of caramels
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons milk
8 ounces chocolate chips

Toast your coconut at 350 for about 15 minutes. (You can do this while making the cookies) Stir throughout and keep an eye on it. Unwrap your caramels and place them in a microwave safe dish with the salt and milk for about 3 minutes. When the caramel mixture is done, add the coconut to it and stir well. Pour this onto the baked cookies.


Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe dish or on the stove top. Dip the bottoms of the cookies in the chocolate or just spread it with a knife and place on parchment paper. Then drizzle remaining chocolate on top of coconut.

Like I said, hers cookies looked a lot more like the real thing. My problem was that I made them too big and I didn't have enough caramel to make the topping runny. I just ended up covering the little holes I made with coconut and chocolate.
My daughter didn't seem to care though... :)

3 comments:

  1. Yum..I love these cookies and I am sad the girl scouts only come around once a year. Oh wait that is probably a good thing. Cute picture of Livy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love following this blog. You girls do a great job! Megan, I made these cookies today and they are way good. My only problem is that my cookies turned out crumbly and dry. Is that how they're supposed to be or what did I do wrong? They taste great though and I would totally make them again if I could get a softer, less "chalky" (as Jonathan said) cookie. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily- So good to hear from you! Maybe you should try lowering the temperature to 350 degrees or cook them for less time. Perhaps they were over-cooked. The original instructions said to put them at 350, but in my oven, they took forever to cook so I raised it. I think I will change the instructions back to the original so no one else runs into that problem. I hope that helps!!

    ReplyDelete