3.18.2011

the creative family....

"Ever child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
-Pablo Picasso

Last week I got to spend some time with my little sister and we both LOVE books, so when we heard that the Borders in Logan was going out of business (sad, I used to spend a lot of time there when we lived in Logan) we made the trip to see what we could find.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to spend a lot of time browsing or anything because we had my two boys with us and lets face it, anyone with children knows how shopping can be without a cart and with two tired children can be. Anyways, I was trying to look at some books and so I told my 3 year old to see if he could find a book that might be good. I was just hoping to distract him for a second, but he grabbed this book (The Creative Family: how to encourage imagination and nurture family connections) off the shelf and began flipping through the pages. But he fell in love and would not put it back. I tried everything to get him to put it back and he wouldn't, he "needed it". I quickly glanced at it and decided why not.... (my 1 1/2 year old was in my other arm throwing a world class fit because I wouldn't let him run to the back of the store to play in the drinking fountain) let's just get out of here.

I ended up buying it and I have already read it and am reading it again. I LOVE this book. I have gotten so many ideas for our family. She has projects, ideas, and encouragement about how to allow your whole family to express themselves creatively. I really am in love with it. I checked out her website today and I found out she has written another book: Handmade Home. I think I will have to get too.

Somethings that I have picked up from this book:
1. Everyone is an artist (even me)
2. I should use my imagination more and encourage my children to use their imagination
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
-Albert Einstein
3. I should not be afraid of experimenting or letting my children experiment with creativity



No comments:

Post a Comment