6.07.2010

Steamed Chocolate Pudding

On Sunday, Tyler and I were craving something sweet and chocolaty. I made this in my cooking class last semester and loved it. I decided to try it again on my own.



Ingredients:
1 egg, beaten
2 oz butter, melted (about 1/4 of a cup)
3 Tbsp sugar
½ cup milk
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
1/4 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) raspberries, strawberries, mixed berries, etc
extra sugar for berries

Instructions:

1. Place berries (about 1 TB) into the bottom of each of 5 Pyrex custard dishes (Any dish that can withstand heat will work but it can't be too big or the middle won't cook completely--I used a 5" round dish that I have used to make cakes). Sprinkle sugar over top and let sit.

2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients (You don't have to use a sifter, a whisk will do the same exact thing). Add the sifted mixture to the liquids and mix. (There should not be any large lumps, but don’t over-mix the batter). Divide the batter evenly between the 5 dishes and smooth out the top.

3. Fill a small hotel pan (or large pot) with 4 – 5 cups water and heat until boiling. Position a cooling rack over top of the pan and arrange the custard dishes on the rack so they are directly over the boiling water. Cover with an aluminum foil tent and reduce heat to low (you should still be able to hear a gentle bubbling sound if you put your ear close to the pan). Cook 20 minutes. (With my 5" dishes I had to cook mine for 35 minutes). You know when it is done when you insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out mostly clean. The texture of this dish is kind of like a very very moist cake, never runny though.

4. Cut around edges with a knife and flip on plate to serve. Serve with whipped cream, raspberry syrup or powdered sugar, if desired.
I added extra strawberries on the bottom of my serving dish so I had strawberries on the top and bottom of my dessert.

WARNING
: This is a chocolate overload. It is so delicious, but VERY chocolaty so you might want to have a tall glass of milk to help wash it all down.

No comments:

Post a Comment